EBC Family Covenant
This is our covenant with one another in our church family:
- We choose to be active and constructive participants in the life and ministry of EBC (Rom. 12:3-13);
- We choose to submit to one another esteeming others more highly than ourselves out of reverence for Jesus Christ (Eph. 5:21);
- We choose to submit to the leadership of the church including the pastor – rather than being critical of them, when we have a concern we will go directly to the leadership/pastor to seek resolution (Heb. 13:17);
- We choose to willingly use our personal resources (spiritual gifts, talents, skills, material resources, time) for the good of the church (1 Cor. 12:7);
- We choose to seek reconciliation with those who sin against us or hurt us or oppose us rather than seek retribution or be critical of them (Matt. 5:21-24);
- We choose to carefully listen (searching out heart motives) before judging (James 1:19-20);
- We choose – to the extent possible – to live in peace with everyone (Rom. 12:18);
- We choose to relate to one another as part of our spiritual family (even those who are also part of our natural families) (Matt. 12:46-50);
- We choose to be humble and gentle (Eph. 4:2);
- We choose to be patient with others, making allowance for their faults because of God’s love in us Col. 3:13);
- We choose to make every effort to promote unity in the Spirit, binding ourselves to one another in peace (1 Cor. 1:10).
We realize that we will not always get this right. Despite our intention expressed in this covenant, we will at times do what we shouldn’t and not do what we should. At those times we will seek forgiveness and make necessary reparations as soon as possible. On the other hand, when others come to us seeking forgiveness we will readily extend forgiveness and embrace reconciliation (while respecting personal boundaries).